Friday 29 April 2011

UPDATE FROM LAST WEEK: I am in love with Gaga. She is amazing and I won't have you tell me otherwise. 


Lady Gaga. A polarized opinion based more on arbitrary choice than actual facts; you either love her or you hate her. I personally have been leaning more towards the latter. I don’t know, she just seemed like an easily thought out juxtaposition of things already done (e.g. Madonna, Bjork…), not that everything isn’t already a mash-up of inspirations; but this one just seemed a bit too contrived.  Like, going back to the Madonna thing, didn’t Gaga’s performance at the 2009 Much Music Video Awards sort of remind you of Madonna’s infamous cone bra, except this one was metal and had sparks shooting out the ‘points’ if you will. But recently, I have been warming up to Gaga, I might even go as far as to call myself a little monster. Well, okay, not that far, but nevertheless, she has in fact grown on me.

Previously, I had looked at her fashion choices with much scrutiny. Like, a meat dress, being carried inside a giant egg, or covered head to toe in lace (including her eyes), it all just appeared to be a desperate bid for attention. After awhile her shock factor had worn off, yet her outfits remained the same. This static, unchanging style however, makes me believe that Gaga isn’t dressing for the public, but for herself. Also, she has reportedly dressed this ‘crazy’ even before she was famous, back when she was known by the more humble name of Stefan Germanotta. Like, now if she really wanted to shock the public, she could just walk the streets wearing nothing more than jeans and a white tee, nobody would ever expect that. 

Also, it’s not like she searches high and low to find the most shocking piece of clothing, but actually wears real runway pieces. You know, like actual runway pieces; those crazy fairytale designs seen on the catwalk before they are altered down for everyday wear and retail sell –ability. Well, she appreciates and understands the work and imagination behind these pieces and wears them for their full effect and whimsy, straight from the runway, right to her stage. Alexander McQueen also left her with a portion of his collection after his death in February 2010, as they were reported as being close friends and enjoying each other’s work. 

Gaga isn’t a product. She really understands fashion, whether it’s wearing McQueen’s infamous armadillo heels or walking in Mugler’s Autumn/Winter 2011 collection in Paris. And I guess I now sort of have this new found respect for her. She really believes in her vision, and sticks to it. Like, did you know that a large portion of what she earns goes back to the production of her shows and music videos? She never ceases to give us nothing short of spectacular. Some of it may not be my taste, but there is an obvious art to what she does.  


Lady Gaga at Mugler's Autumn/Winter 2011 show




My Charcoal/Pencil cartoon tribute to my new found love of all things Gaga

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous photos! I'm following you :)

    Follow me too please? :)

    lovelybulatao.blogspot.com

    Thank you so much! :))

    ReplyDelete